Acting today for a better tomorrow
With the Well-being of Future Generations Act providing direction, the Welsh Government has put the brakes on road building.
It scrapped plans to build a motorway extension around Newport and announced a freeze on all road building, directing the money towards sustainable transport instead. aiming to increase public transport, walking, and cycling to 45% by 2045.
The Welsh Government has committed to investing more in active travel, improving bus services, and promoting homeworking, helping to reduce carbon emissions, improve our health and create better connected communities where people can walk and talk.
Interested in more examples of how the Act has had an impact on transport in Wales?
- Future Generations 2020 Report chapter on Transport
- Future Generations 2020 Report chapter on A Wales of Cohesive Communities
- Bite-sized resource of the FG Report chapter on Transport Fit for the Future
- Transport Fit for Future Generations report (2018)
- Case studies of good practice from across Wales
- Our monthly Future Generations Newsletters